Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Starship Narrator

Busy, busy week, thanks in no small part to Thanksgiving and so forth. Coincidentally, my Anki reps have been piling up, but I'm not particularly worried about it. I think the most important part is just to make sure I do at least some every single day, even if it's only a handful. My "quota" is still between 100-150, but a couple dozen will keep my mind fresh enough.
Not to mention, not a day goes by that I don't read or listen to or watch something in Japanese. Heck, I have Windows in Japanese, I have Steam and most of my commonly used programs and instant messengers in Japanese - I usually watch one drama episode every day as well (Nodame Cantabile currently, I love it), not to mention I almost always have music going, much of which has been in Japanese lately (been listening to a band called Nanocycle - excellent stuff). So, I don't think I'm in any danger of stagnating or regressing in my studies.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel like I could be doing a heck of a lot more. I'm really beginning to get a good grasp on kanji, I'm picking up the compounds and onyomi a lot easier than I figured I would, and generally surprising myself at my progress regularly (at risk of sounding like my head is swollen like a balloon), but there's so much I still really, really suck at... not the least of which being vocabulary and grammar. A good handful of particles such as が, に, で and so forth still manage to trip up and confuse me, and it often takes several reps before I even begin to remember a specific word. But again, I'm not worried, nor frustrated... This will all come naturally throughout the process, as it has from the start. Month by month, I'm able to understand and read more; as I said previously, it's a very transparent process. Never does a lightbulb appear over my head, never do I suddenly realize any profound revelation that suddenly makes my studies easier. Rather, everything is a smooth, gradual stream of knowledge and understanding.

If there was any real point to this latenight musing, I've long since forgotten it in my sleepy haze. Oh well! Suffice it to say, even during my more busy weeks, I'm still able to benefit significantly from my studies, and that's ballin'.

No comments: